to construct a roster, the main ways being:
- drafting and scouting
- player development
- contract negotiation
if i were to grade KD, here’s what I’d give him, on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest:
- scouting, drafting, signing: 4 –> compare players
- player development: 5 – find amount of marles –> leafs compared to others
- trading: 3 –> outline all trades
- contract negotiation: 2 – nylander, matthews, marner, tavares
to me, what will be interesting as a real world comparison of the last skill there rated at 2 is when lou lamoriello finalizes a deal with some forward named matthew barzal.
this could drop dubas to a 1 in this area.
here’s what i would be reading if i were kyle:
- getting to yes
- never split the difference
just these books creatively applied have the potential to shave a few mill off the cap per year.